The continuing world semiconductor chip scarcity is so acute Common Motors Co. introduced Thursday further downtime at six of its crops in North America. The pause in manufacturing exacerbates a state of affairs the place sellers industry-wide are already experiencing sparse new automobile inventories because of the lack of semiconductor chips.
Fort Wayne (Indiana) Meeting and Silao (Mexico) Meeting
- Down the week of Sept. 6 with resumption in manufacturing anticipated the week of Sept. 13. Fort Wayne builds the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 pickup vehicles
- Silao builds the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and Cheyenne (for Mexico) and GMC Sierra 1500 pickup vehicles.
Wentzville (Missouri) Meeting
- Down the weeks of Sept. 6 and 13
- Wentzville builds the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickups and the Chevrolet Categorical and GMC Savana full-size vans.
CAMI Meeting (Canada) and San Luis Potosi Meeting (Mexico)
- Two further weeks of downtime via the week of Sept. 27
- Chevrolet Equinox manufacturing has been down since Aug. 16
- CAMI builds the Chevrolet Equinox and SLP builds the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain.
Lansing Delta Township Meeting (Michigan)
- Two further weeks of downtime weeks of Sept. 6 and 13. Manufacturing anticipated to renew week of Sept. 20.
- Lansing Delta Township builds the Chevrolet Traverse and the Buick Enclave
Spring Hill Meeting (Tennessee)
- Two further weeks of downtime the weeks of Sept. 6 and 13. Manufacturing anticipated to renew the week of Sept. 20.
- Spring Hill builds the GMC Acadia, Cadillac XT5 and Cadillac XT6.
Ramos Meeting (Mexico)
- Two further weeks of downtime for Blazer manufacturing via the week of Sept. 13. As well as, Equinox manufacturing will probably be down via the week of 9/27.
- Manufacturing of the Chevrolet Equinox has been down since August 16.
“In the course of the downtime, we’ll restore and ship unfinished autos from many impacted crops, together with Fort Wayne (Indiana) and Silao, (Mexico)to sellers to assist meet the sturdy buyer demand for our merchandise. Though the state of affairs stays complicated and really fluid, we stay assured in our staff’s potential to proceed discovering artistic options to reduce the impression on our highest-demand and capacity-constrained autos,” stated GM spokesman Dan Flores in an announcement.
In the meantime, supplier heaps have been already sparsely crammed final month. In a blog post by Kevin Roberts, Director of Business Insights & Analytics at automotive shopping for and analysis web site CarGurus
Analysis by Cox Automotive painted an identical image concluding “At this level, indications are new-vehicle stock points will proceed to emphasize sellers and customers via the rest of the 12 months. The worldwide auto provide chain has all the time been a fragile operation, and this 12 months has demonstrated simply how fragile certainly.”
No matter autos can be found are going quick. In line with CarGurus analysis, final month on common, autos have been bought after simply over 60 days on the lot, that is down from slightly below 100 days throughout August, 2020.
Low provide means increased costs and CarGurus reviews the common new automotive worth final month was listed as $44,288, up 2.5% from July. Buyers cannot search for solace at used automobile heaps. As new automotive gross sales stall, so do trade-ins, placing strain on inventories and elevating costs. In line with CarGurus the common used automotive in August was listed at $29,129, up 1% from July.
“As we begin September, the outlook for the remainder of 2021 has chilled barely,” wrote Roberts. “The potential for a historic gross sales quantity 12 months constructed on sturdy client demand is not going to materialize as a consequence of stock, but it is going to nonetheless be a worthwhile 12 months for OEMs and sellers as rising costs have offset misplaced gross sales.”